1951 The American Food Service Industry had become of of the countries largest industries.
Here are some of the important events in American food service prior to the 1950s:
- A la carte menus were common since the early 1800s.
- The Bowery Savings Bank instituted employee meals in 1834.
- Pullman developed railroad dining cars.
- H.J.Heinz opened his food business 1869.
- Did A. Feuchtwanger introduce America to the Hot Dog? It is said that he sold in St. Louis Missouri hot “franks” together with cotton gloves to hold the same.
- Sears Roebuck opened its Chicago employee restaurant serving as many as 12,500 meals daily.
- Hamburger is said to have been served first at the 1904 St. Louis World Fair.
- 1919 The first A&W root beer stand opened. Roy Allen and Frank Wright are be the pioneers for food service industry franchise concepts. Their A&W Root Beer units at one time exceeded 2500 and most of them were franchised.
- 1920 Prohibition threw a wrench into fine dining and wine.
- 1933 Prohibition was repealed.